When Mark and I were in France 9 years ago I thought to myself if we came back again then I would like to have a shot at riding one of the mountains. TBH, it was a fleeting thought, a wish dream- not really something that I thought that I would be able to do.
But with a gracious God who has given me good health and a husband that has unwavering faith in my dreams, today we did it.
Stats: Sal (Mark)
Distance: 96.76km
Time: 4 hours 58 minutes
Ascent: 1295m
Av Heart Rate:140 (103)
Temperature: hot but grateful for clouds for the climb
Water Bottles drunk: 5
Estimated sweat loss: 4.4L (1.8L)
Our course: Nice Half Ironman. Follow the orange arrows on the road
The ride started along the beautiful Nice beachfront, past the airport and private jets. Then a sharp hill, the our first stop at Vence. We wound through the back cobblestones to find a Boulangerie for water and treats.
At 20km most of the steep hills were done- and now for the long grind uphill. God protected us with a cover of cloud as we rode up to 1295m. If you had asked me if I could ride up up to those peaks, I would have laughed. But with my husband leading the way and many many bottles of water/tailwind. We made it
 |
There was another hill after this for a coke and water stop. And then the descent. SCARY.I just kept my eyes on the lanes - and not the big drops and valleys below. Mark waa very patient and I doubt he has ever gone down hill so slowly. But that is love for you 😍The last 5 km was pure joy (with some exhaustion) as we rode along the beach trying not to have an accident with the tourists.
Back for a sleep and then one thing that I was looking forward to: G&T and Frites watching the Tour
|
No comments:
Post a Comment