Today is like all other glorious days, starting with a quick trip to the Boulangerie. Unlike almost everything else this holiday, this is the cheapest part of our day. For 8 Euros we can get a baguette, pain au chocolat, tartelette fraise, sucre bun and Mark’s favourite a Patte d’ours.
I must admit the view on most of my rides in France has been the same. I focus on Mark, when he leans one way, which angle he takes and where he is as we grind up the hill (or race down the descent). I know there are amazing landscapes, lake views etc etc but really, my focus is surviving each ride and following Mark.
What is also the same is how the final bit of our ride is always the most dangerous. Where it is back at home finishing along the Cooks River, at Nice along the beach or here in Annecy on the bike path along the lake- this is the most scariest with people walking in their phones, uncoordinated cyclists and people with small dogs.
Finally the thing that is the same is US! When we ride it is so hard to fight the competitive urges to try and pass people- but to stay at our own pace. Mark continues to be our sage- picking where the best place to go based on the sun etc Although I am relatively fit- Mark is still tougher (even with a sore back) and carries the back pack and doesn’t need a siesta.
No comments:
Post a Comment