Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Day 6A: Ain't half hot Mum!

 I finally have some wifi. Our unit does not have wifi, but no worries, the local library is only 100m up the road! So... no wifi in French regional libraries.  The very helpful librarian said the bar might have some.  You had me at "Bar!" A short wander down the road and Voila! Wifi engaged. The struggle is real!!


Our first day in the saddle deserves to be called Epic! We rode just under 100km, but with 2.9km of ascent.  We rode up the Col du Soluor and across to the Aubisque.  When we got there we figured we may as well drop down the other side and then ride back up.  It sounded like a great idea when we were at the top of the hill. 

So down we went down to the town of Laruns to conquer this little beast! 
Normally this would be a walk in the park... but then the heat!! Forest fires disrupted the tour (a long way east of here), but here it was hot. How hot?? VERY HOT! Later in the afternoon the car said it was 43 degrees. I reckon it was only 41!! IN any case I am not sure when the last time was I felt that destroyed on the bike, but that is why we are here, to suffer! 
The day ended with a home cooked meal and an early night.  Our conclusion was; "Oh my goodness that hurt... let's do it again tomorrow!"






No comments:

Post a Comment